Victoria University of Wellington Tramping Club
Welcome to VUWTC Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Bog-standard tramp anyone?

Last post 20-08-2007, 2:00 PM by Annabel. 12 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  14-08-2007, 9:53 PM 1934

Bog-standard tramp anyone?

Heya!

Just wondering if anyone else would be keen to spend a couple of days tramping in the holidays, no compulsory gender-bending, no ingestion of potentially toxic flora, hopefully no frostbite, just fun in the bush?

I'd be keen for anywhere really but can't afford anything tooo fancy, weekends are mint or weekdays too no probs! More than one trip would be rad too :)

Filed under:
  •  15-08-2007, 10:29 AM 1936 in reply to 1934

Re: Bog-standard tramp anyone?

Hey MacJenny

I would definitely be keen for some actual tramping over the holidays- I have the entire second week off and am keen for a bit of a mission somewhere too!! How much time do you have free?

Sir Beattie

•  15-08-2007, 7:16 PM 1942 in reply to 1936

Good evening sir - second week would be mint - I was thinking around 2-3, 4 at most days long cos I have heaps to do in hols! Weekends, weekdays no problems for me whenever I think...!

: )

Filed under:
  •  15-08-2007, 7:27 PM 1943 in reply to 1936

I'm thinking of staying up after snow cavng and spending a day or 2 climbing/skiing. Then maybe head off and do a tramp for 2 or 3 days. Not sure where yet - maybe something nice and easy like lake Waikaremoana. Hopefully mid week there wouldn't be many people around! It isn't entirely clear if backcountry hut passes are ok during winter on it as it is a great walk, but you have to book all year. I'm open to any other suggestions tho!
    Craig Ryburn
  •  16-08-2007, 9:04 AM 1947 in reply to 1943

Yeah I'd be up for something also and I have a car if needed.

My preference would be second week and anytime within 24 Aug - 2 Sept.

I not keen for Waikaremoana though, and my pick would be to head into the Ruahines for 3-4 days, perhaps to Ruahine Corner.

Unless its either side of a weekend, which I can take at short notice, I'd also need to organise leave from work.

Alyn

Alyn
    027 446 5275
    Alyn.Higgins@hospitalitynz.org.nz
  •  16-08-2007, 9:33 AM 1948 in reply to 1947

I'd be keen, but just to be difficult the only times I could do would be the last weekend of the holidays or Wednesday-Friday of the first week.

If it's too much trouble don't bother trying to organise around me, I'm sure I'll be able to survive two weeks without tramping.

•  16-08-2007, 3:09 PM 1952 in reply to 1934

A few days in the Ruahines over the holidays sounds mean! I've got 21sts every Saturday for the next while that I probably should go to so would be awesome to do something between 26 August- 31 August- the more days within that the meaner! Am pretty flexible though if that doesn't work out with other people.

Yay for tramping!

•  17-08-2007, 7:37 AM 1953 in reply to 1952

Yeah I'd be keen for a few days in the Ruahines (or anywhere) in the second week! I'm easy on which days we go on - maybe sun, mon, tues or thurs, fri, sat? Sorry if that doesn't match you Michael :)

Oh yeah and Annabel - in the calendar it says there a Tararua trip on the last weekend of the holidays, is that still on so we have to make sure this trip doesn't clash with that one?

Filed under:
  •  17-08-2007, 11:16 AM 1954 in reply to 1953

OK well how about leaving Sunday 26am and heading for the Ruahines, I'll start planning, and returning to Wgtn Wednesday 29 August in the evening?

Finalise plans at the meeting on Tuesday.

Alyn
    027 446 5275
    Alyn.Higgins@hospitalitynz.org.nz
  •  17-08-2007, 1:08 PM 1955 in reply to 1954

Am easy for any days within then- just want to go tramping!! And yes there is a Tararua trip the first weekend of September which I have a funny feeling I'm organising...

Will talk to you guys next week anyway!

•  17-08-2007, 5:24 PM 1956 in reply to 1955

Sounds like a mint plan so far Alyn!

See you guys on Tuesday :)

•  17-08-2007, 5:51 PM 1957 in reply to 1956

Ruahine Corner sounds pretty kinky... Won't be able to make it around that time, though, which is a real shame. (Finally I will be moving into my new flat - next weekend... yay! ...and will be in Hamilton the weekend after...Pretty stuffed.) -Have fun and don't get lost :)

Anyway, I'm looking forward to some rambling in the Tararuas, Annabel! How about Dundas Ridge from the Wairarapa side? Or a Mitre-Arete classic?

Cheers,

Nicolai

•  20-08-2007, 2:00 PM 1974 in reply to 1957

Have no fear, there will definitely be some mad Tararua missions planned for next weekend Nicolai, cheers for the ideas! If anyone else is keen, drop me an email or else come have a chat to me at the meeting tomorrow night. And yay, glad to hear you've got a new flat sorted, hope all works out well!

View as RSS news feed in XML